85% of the reasons for failure to meet customer expectations are related to deficiencies in systems & processes… rather than people. (W. Edwards Deming)
So, process plays very important role in the success of the business.
What are the essential elements of effective processes.
- Written with clarity & simplicity yet comprehensive
- Updated to business needs & environment
- Easily visible & accessible
- Aligned with company’s vision, goal & strategy
The processes become Standard operating procedures (SOP) which are written, step-by-step instructions that describe how to perform an activity.
Why SOPs are lifeline of any business?
- Process driven culture from person driven culture
- Efficiency & Productivity increases
- Strengthens controls in all aspects
- Promoters / Top Management People are free for strategic decisions
- Leverage on technology successfully
Ultimately achieve company’s vision, goal & strategy. Think McDonalds, Starbucks, Amazon, Google. How do the best-of-the-best succeed no matter what? They proactively systemize their operations down to a science with clear standard operating procedures (SOPs). This strategy works in every industry, every size operation
Now is the time for us all to get back to the fundamentals and build leaner, more accountable, results-oriented SOPs in the next new normal post COVID-19. Backburnering implementing good SOPs for another day is a costly business decision. Good SOPs deliver high ROI across the board.
But before businesses take up any project on SOP like designing or reengineering the existing processes, one must understand clearly the present state on SOP health.
So, take up a Quick Test on SOP Health Check to understand whether your business is Process Enabled, Process Managed, Process Defined, Process Aware and Process Naïve. Once you understand this, take your next big step to enhance the SOP Health of your business with lot of clarity.